- Distributed Systems
- Program Behavior
- Mobile & Sensing
- Social Networks
- TRAC is gone
Directional and Steerable Antennas for Optimizing Networks
PIs: Douglas Sicker and Dirk Grunwald
As the demand for wireless networks grows, the research community continues to seekmethods for improving network performance. On method for improving network throughput involves using directional antennas to increase signal gain and/or decrease interference. Our work in this area focuses on real-world development and evaluation of directional and phased array antenna systems. To this end, we have built the first large-scale testbed of outdoor phased array antennas, suggested new models for directional antenna use in simulations based on measurements, and have proposed new protocols that optimize their behavior in both time and space.
- Eric Anderson, Caleb Phillips, Douglas Sicker, and Dirk Grunwald. Signal Quality Pricing: Decomposition for Spectrum Scheduling and System Configuration. IEEE Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks 2011 (DySPAN 2011). Aachen, Germany. May 3-6, 2011.
- Eric Anderson, Caleb Phillips, Douglas Sicker, and Dirk Grunwald. Modeling Environmental Effects on Directionality. Mathematical and Computer Modeling Journal. Special Issue on Modeling and Simulation of Wireless Networks. June, 2010. Elsevier.
- Eric Anderson, Caleb Phillips, Douglas Sicker, and Dirk Grunwald. Challenges in Deploying Steerable Wireless Testbeds. TridentCom 2010. Berlin, Germany. May 18-20, 2010.
- Gary Yee, Caleb Phillips, Douglas Sicker, and Dirk Grunwald. Wireless Networking Optimizations for Studying Algorithm Interactions. University of Colorado at Boulder, Tech. Report. CU-CS-1070-10. 2010.
- Eric Anderson, Caleb Phillips, Douglas Sicker, and Dirk Grunwald. Modeling Environmental Effects on Directionality in Wireless Networks. 5th International workshop on Wireless Network Measurements (WiNMee 2009). Seoul, Korea. June 26, 2009.
- Michael Buettner, Eric Anderson, Gary Yee, Dola Saha, Doug Sicker, Dirk Grunwald – A Phased Array Antenna Testbed for Evaluating Directionality in Wireless Networks. MobiEval ’07 , San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA, June, 2007.
- Neufeld, M., Grunwald, D. – Using phase array antennas with the 802.11 MAC protocol. Broadband Networks, 2004. BroadNets 2004. Proceedings. First International Conference on pp. 733-735, 25-29 Oct. 2004
Software and Data Downloads
- Directional Antenna Modeling Data – Data used in publications related to modeling and simulating the environmental effects on directivity of directional antennas. See the README.
- Caleb’s QualNet Hacks – Useful hacks and additions for the QualNet 4.5 simulator. See the README for a discussion of its contents (looking for EDAM? It’s in here).
Tag cloudpin program analysis compilers geostatistics cognitive radio cyberphysical optiscope prototype OFDM environment directional wireless antenna deer FPGA hardware atc aircraft faa optimization networking anonymity sdr modeling uas security Synchronization bit-torrent location self-organization simulation sending coverage sampling chainsaw phased array Architecture measurement mobile bia privacy Radio